Close to everywhere; Coast, mountains, urban areas, museums...
The nearby environment of Sarasola Zahar offers a great variety of destinations to discover during your stay. Despite being located outside the urban nucleus, Sarasola Zahar is relatively “close to everywhere”.
We recommend the most interesting places and activities. so you can get to know our region.
Below are some “Hotspots” on which you should not miss out on.
Take a dip at the beach!
Only a few kilometers from Sarasola Zahar, you can enjoy a great variety of beaches and coastal scenery throughout the year, but mainly during the warmer months of the year. They come in different sizes, types and locations. Here are the highlights:
- Malkorbe Beach – Getaria, Gipuzkoa (4Km)
- Santiago Beach – Zumaia, Gipuzkoa (4Km)
- Itzurun Beach – Zumaia, Gipuzkoa (5Km)
- Zarautz Beach – Gipuzkoa (12Km)
- Antilla Beach – Orio, Gipuzkoa (8Km)
- Sakoneta Creek – Itziar Deba, Gipuzkoa (8Km)
- Santiago Beach- Deba, Gipuzkoa (11Km)
Get to know our culture!
The Urola coastal region and its surroundings, despite being better known for its beaches, forests and natural parks, also offers many places where you can soak up the local culture.
You can learn about the history and evolution of the region, at Zerain cultural park or other spots, such as the hermitage of San Telmo de Zumaia, which became popular by the movie “8 Apellidos Vascos ”
Here are the highlights:
- Cristóbal Balenciaga Museum – Getaria, Gipuzkoa (4Kms) LINK
- Z Espacio Cultural – Zumaia, Gipuzkoa (4Km) LINK
- Route of the Three Temples – Azpeitia, Gipuzkoa (5Km) LINK
- Zerain Cultural Park – Zerain, Gipuzkoa (5Km) LINK
- Agorregi Ironsmith and Mills – Aia, Gipuzkoa (6Km) LINK
- Basque Railway Museum – Azpeitia, Gipuzkoa (10Km) LINK
- Sanctuary of Loiola – Azpeitia, Gipuzkoa (12kms) LINK
Enjoy the gastronomy!
In Gipuzkoa as a whole and in the Urola Costa region in particular, gastronomy can’t go unnoticed.
“Sidrerias”, cider houses are well known and appreciated by visitors and locals alike. Gipuzkoa produces a high amount of cider and there are numerous cider houses throughout the province. Although there are some that open throughout the year, the classic cider house generally opens from midwinter to early spring. The main dish you can eat at a “Sidreria” is the “chuleton”, ribeye steak, but you could also try “bacalao”, cod, served as an omelete or fried with peppers.
We would also suggest you to try the local fish restaurants “Asadores”, which you can find in the coastal region. There many places where you can taste exquisite grilled fish, while enjoying the Cantabrian Sea as a backdrop.
In conclusion, the gastronomic offer available in the surroundings of Sarasola Zahar is excellent.
Here are two links of interest on gastronomic offer in the area.
Outdoor sport activities!
With its vast and varied natural space, the coastal region offers many possibilities to practice outdoor sports. On the beaches in the surrounding area of Sarasola Zahar you can surf, try bodyboarding or stand-up paddling. Zarautz beach in particular, is very popular.
Hikingand cycling are also highly recommended in our region. The discovery of the multiple green spaces and natural parkswill allow you to enjoy the surrounding nature.
Links of interest to develop outdoor activities: